Electricity is one of the most important factors in our own civilization society. Every year, every month, every day or even every second, we use electricity for both fundamental and special activities. It also supports the developments of other technologies such as Information Technology (IT), computer and etc.
Increasing in power demand, difficulty in adding generation units or power deregulation could affect the stability and reliability of power system. Thereby, in the future the electricity supply must face several problems.
In the modern society, it is not exaggeration to say that electricity is the base for Indonesian civilization. With the cleanness, convenience and good controllability of electricity, domestic power demand seems to increase; therefore, engineers should respond to such demand for high reliable and stable power energy. However, in the future, there is no guarantee that such demand is successfully responded even in Indonesian.
The location of power plant, resources such as oil and gas, environment problems from using fuels are considered to be the initial reasons. Although such problems can be solved, there are still some difficulties for the installation of power plant (especially the nuclear power plant) and the increasing demand cannot be responded. Even in the possible locations, it is limited in the areas that are far from high demand areas that are normally cities, and in power system perspective, power plant has to be connected to power system by the long distance transmission system, which tends to become unstable.
In addition, the power deregulation, recently introduced in some countries, could be considered to be one of the reasons. In such condition, Independent Power Producers (IPP), other than electric power entrepreneurs, can participate in the power market. They can generate electric power and sell to the consumers via power market. It can be considered as the reform of power electric field with the competition. In the perspective of stability and reliability, since many companies would like to sell their own generating electric power and they connect to the transmission system independently without paying attention to either reliability not stability of power system, the status and condition of power system tends to become worse and turn to insecure condition. At present, it can still be said that such influence is not clearly seen, but with the entries of many companies in the future, may becomes true and it needs the action to cope with that.
From what mentioned above, it is necessary to improve and develop power system technology in order to respond to such demands with high reliability and stability in power system. A typical power system stability study consists of the following steps:
- Make modeling assumptions and formulate a mathematical model appropriate for the time-scales and phenomena under study
- Select an appropriate stability definition
- Simulate and analyze to determine stability
- Review results in light assumptions
In Power Systems Research Group, we realize such problems and actively research and focus on the how to improve the reliability, stability, and performance of power system that has been encountering several problems, affected from power deregulation and power demand increasing. Our activities in Power Systems Research Group are:
- Seminar on Applied Engineering, department seminar, and so forth, plan for improving research skill of students
- Submit papers and participate in Domestic Conference
- Submit academic papers and participate in International conferences,
- Discuss with another researcher from other countries, and then realize the problems or drawbacks in our own researches.
- Actively participating in the meetings with manufacturers and companies is recommended. To realize the position of our own research in this field
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Rudy Setiabudy, DEA
- Ir. Supranyoto, M.Sc
- Dipl.-Ing. Ir. Sri Redjeki
- Aji Nur Widyanto, ST, MT